Ham and Potatoes…with some other fun addins. Serves 6.
1 lb of golden yellow potatoes, diced
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 carrots, coaresly shredded
1-2 cups of cooked ham, diced into cubes (ham steaks work well here too.)
28 oz of chicken broth
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 can of evaporated milk
1/2 tsp thyme
1 cup of brocolli florets (or 1 cup of croutons)
1/4 cup of shredded cheddar
Whatcha Gotta Do:
If you are in season for any of the above ingredients, use fresh by all means!!!
- In a slow-cooker, add the potatoes and onions. Pour in the chicken broth. Cover and cook on high for around 3 hours.
- After the 3 hours, in a bowl, combine the cornstarch, thyme, and pepper to taste.
- Whisk in the evaporated milk.
- To the slow cooker, add the cornstarch mixture (slowly!), along with the ham and carrots. COver and cook fpr another 30 minutes. Do a few stirs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chowder in a bowl with a topping of broccoli (or croutons) with a smattering of the cheddar cheese.
Also published on Medium.